Skip to content
Order now and receive *Free Delivery on orders over £49 | Read more
Order now and receive *Free Delivery on orders over £49
Staying Safe This Christmas

Staying Safe This Christmas

With Christmas Day fast approaching, one of the most anticipated meals of the year is soon to be served causing much excitement for our four-legged friends. As the scrumptious smell of tasty turkey and roast potatoes wafts through the air, our canine companions have the urge to gobble anything that misses our plates and lands upon the floor. 

However, with some components of our Christmas dinner and the delights of Christmas day posing real health risks to our furry friends, here’s all the foods to keep well away from your dog and keep them safe and sound this Christmas. From chocolate to onions, alcohol to nuts, we have a list of everything to keep away from their prying paws to keep their and your Christmas as merry and bright as ever. 


As many pet owners know, Chocolate even in the smallest of quantities can be highly toxic to our four-legged friends. Despite the temptation to allow our pets to taste the scrumptious selection of chocolates our advent calendars encase, these brown bites of creamy goodness can make your pets very poorly in the blink of an eye.

Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called Theobromine, as well as caffeine. Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine hence why coffee is also hazardous. Both chemicals are also used medicinally as a diuretic, heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and a smooth muscle relaxant. Dogs cannot metabolize Theobromine and caffeine as well as people can which makes them more sensitive to the chocolates effects.

However, whilst chocolate is dangerous, fatalities are extremely rare. Darker chocolates contain more amounts of Theobromine and are more toxic than the milkier varieties. Effects can be everything from vomiting, diarrhoea and sometimes shock so it is best to keep the chocolate at bay and treat your dog to something more friendly this Christmas. 


Despite our love for a tipple or two, alcohol can prove to be toxic to our four-legged friends. With animals more susceptible to ethanol poisoning than us humans, keeping our dogs away from a glass of bubbles is more important than ever.

Ethanol in wine, beer and spirits and hops in beer can lead to intoxication and cause your pet to experience; vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive panting and even high body temperatures. Although not deadly on initial consumption, what may seem like a harmless sip of a glass may result in a Christmas Day unpleasant for you and your pooch.

With alcohol free and 100% safe alternatives for your pet, keep your glasses pet free and give them a treat of something pawfect this Christmas.


Despite our dog’s adoration for peanut butter, alternative varieties of these savoury snacks can provide a whole heap of problems if consumed by your four-legged friend. With mixed nuts often a treat of choice on our tables this Christmas, nuts are easily grabbed by our pets when left in places such as counter tops and coffee tables. 

Nuts such as walnuts and macadamias are a serious no go for our canine companions around Christmas. Side effects from eating these savoury snacks aren’t just the usual upset tummies with a little vomiting and diarrhoea. Containing hazardous toxins that can cause serious damage to our pet’s nervous system, avoiding these nuts with a pooch around will ensure your Christmas is 100% risk free. 


Used to flavour Christmas condiments such as stuffing and bread sauce, the added ingredient to some household staple’s this December are packed with one veggie our dogs really don’t want to eat. Onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates which can be toxic to pets if ingested.

It is important to know that even the smallest amount of onion and even garlic can be dangerous for our dogs. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and attack their red blood system leading to problems such as anaemia. Like all problematic foods, it is important to contact veterinary support if you believe your dog has ingestion onion or garlic. 

Enjoying Christmas Day

With rich food and scrumptious snacks filling our fridges and shelves this Christmas, many of us are tempted to give our pooch a taste of the treats. Small bites of human food will serve no problem to our furry friends in moderation as long as you are cautious with ingredients listed. 

Before allowing your pet to try any human food, we would always encourage you to research whether or not it is safe for your pet to eat. To stay 100% safe, stick to their delicious dinner and tasty treats that you purchase right here with Natural Cornish Pet Shop. 

Previous article Festive Days Out With Your Dogs In Cornwall